Saturday, September 4, 2010

Notes to Self:

I've just finished week 2 of my 26 week training plan.  Fortunately, the plan starts out very gradually.  I'm only up to 3 miles so far, which I had been running before I started.  It's going pretty well, but I have already learned a few things not to do, which I have termed "Notes to Self."

1. Do not eat two high-fiber granola bars before a run.  The other day I didn't have much time to eat before running so I didn't want to eat something heavy.  I grabbed two Kellog's Fiber Plus granola bars.  My husband and I both love these granola bars because they are the equivalent of only 2 Weight Watchers points each, and they taste awesome.  In fact, I'd rather eat one of the chocolate peanutbutter bars than a candy bar.  They are that good.  However, they do have 9 grams of fiber each. (P.S. I just ran down stairs to get one! Yum!)  Fiber is awesome because it makes you feel full.  On the other hand, if you are not used to eating that much fiber, it gives you major flatulence, stomach cramps, and eventually... diarrhea.  These side effects are never good, but when you are out running with no bath room in sight, they are really bad!

2. Do not eat approximately 7 scoops of ice cream within 48 hours of a run - or ever.  I had yet another food-related incident.  My husband and I went to Mack's ice cream in Dover last weekend for lunch. Ice cream happens to be an object of joy in my life.  I come from a long line of dairy farmers, with a real appreciation for ice cream - at least that's what I choose to blame for this weakness.  My "medium" cone was huge!  I guestimate the ice cream was stacked a good 8 inches above the cone.  Each dip was easily two normal-sized dips and then some.  Again, it was delicious, but there was so much of it that I felt ill.  The next morning, approximately 20 hours after the ice cream, we went for a run.  I felt horrible.  I was out of breath by the first half mile, which is unusual.  My legs typically feel tired before I'm out of breath.  I'm not sure there's a direct relationship between ice cream and respiratory compromise.  I have heard that too much milk can thicken respiratory secretions.  I'm not aware of any scientific research on the subject, but after this experience it wouldn't take much to convince me.

3. Do not go running alone at night.  Of course, this is a more serious lesson.  First of all, nothing bad happened.  Whereas it used to get dark around 9 or 9:30, the seasons are changing, and it's dark by 8:15.  Because it was in the 90s last week, I waited until later to go run.  I went running on the Rail Trail the other night around 7:30.  I thought I would have plenty of day light left, but it was getting dark half way through my run.  By the last mile it was dark, and I was the only one on the trail.  I realized how stupid it was to be out alone in the dark.  I was smart enough to turn my headphones off so I could hear if some one was behind me, but I knew if some thing bad were to happen I had few defenses.  There were no lights, very few houses, and woods or fields on either side of the trail.  I was pretty scared.  I can't tell you how many times I turned around to look behind me or jumped when I heard a rustling from the trees.  I was fortunate, but lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you! And reading this makes me feel closer to you, like we just had dinner and drinks, and we're not 5 hours apart! I'm so proud of you for doing this and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete