Monday, September 13, 2010

Ups and Downs

So last week was a bust.  I ran Monday, I think maybe 2 miles, but my ingrown toenail was bothering me much more than usual.  On Tuesday it started to leak some puss.  I probably could have kept running the rest of the week, but I didn't.  I had already called the podiatrist and had an appointment scheduled for Friday.  So, I just soaked it in Epsom salt twice a day and tried to clear the infection.  From past experience I knew if it was infected that I wouldn't be able to have the surgery on Friday.  So on Friday I was working in labor and delivery and was about 30 minutes from delivering a baby when I had to leave for the podiatrist appointment.  Of course, the podiatrist was running 45 minutes behind schedule.  I had to miss a delivery, but in the end she took out the ingrown nail and chemically cauterized the base so that portion of the nail won't grow back.  She said there's only a 20% chance of recurrence, which is sweet.  Now that I have some properly fitted shoes, hopefully I won't continue to injure the toe also.

So tonight I went back to running.  I was supposed to be up to 4 miles last week, so that was my goal tonight.  I went to a local high school track because they have lights on until 10PM.  I did cycles of running for 5 minutes and walking for 2 minutes.  I usually count my laps by changing lanes each lap, but the track was too busy for that.  I tried to keep track in my head, but with calculating the run/walk cycles and the high school band practicing on the field I quickly gave up trying to count laps.  I was running around a 10 minute pace or faster during my runs and covering about 200 meters on my walks, giving a conservative estimate of 1000 meters per 7 minute cycle.  7x8=56, so there's 8000 meters plus another 800 meters for the last 4 minutes.  Grand total of 8800 meters, which (pause for calculator function) means I covered at least 5 and a half miles?!?!  I'm sure my most devoted follower (My hubby, Hubey) will check my math on that for me. (BTW He also checks my grammar and spelling.  Since it's 11pm maybe he'll cut me some slack on this one.)  (I use lots of parentheses).

So, I feel great.  I was even covering more distance with each 5 minute run.  I am certain that tomorrow I will not feel as great as I do now.  I took a Magnesium supplement (more on that in a future blog) and a regular vitamin to try to ward off cramps for tomorrow morning.  I'll do a recovery day tomorrow, and then back on track with my schedule.  My toe felt great, by the way, and no oozing when I got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment